KEVIN P RYAN
KEVIN P. RYAN
Kevin P. Ryan is Of Counsel to the firm. His practice focuses on all aspects of construction law, representing owners, contractors and sub-contractors in dispute resolution through arbitration, mediation and litigation in both jury and non-jury trials. He also handles commercial disputes and insurance coverage matters and has successfully represented clients in Article 78 proceedings both on behalf of and against municipalities relating to developments projects, the award of public contracts and the award of economic incentives by Industrial Development Agencies. He also has experience in Election Law matters having represented candidates in ballot access disputes and in election recounts.
Representative cases include:
- Enabled a coating contractor to avoid liability on a claim of defective work by obtaining defense and indemnification from its Commercial General Liability carrier notwithstanding the work product exception in the policy;
- Assisted a school district in avoiding additional costs and project delays resulting from the breach of contract by its asbestos abatement contractor on an elementary school project;
- Successfully defended a project owner against a lien claim asserted by a subcontractor by establishing that the prime contractor was owed no further compensation and therefore, no funds remained to satisfy the lien claim;
- Obtained a favorable verdict on behalf of a sanitation contractor whose low bid to a municipality was challenged by an unsuccessful bidder;
- Obtained a settlement in excess of $1,000,000 on behalf of a munitions manufacturer after establishing that its contract with the Department of the Army had been wrongfully terminated for default;
- Prevailed in an arbitration proceeding against a municipal housing authority that resulted in an award of damages to a contractor as a result of differing site conditions on a housing project;
- Successfully represented a replacement window installation contractor in numerous claims against the New York City School Construction Authority;
- Successfully defended a County Industrial Development Agency in a challenge to the denial of an economic development incentive package and obtained an award of attorney’s fees against the claimant.
Kevin is admitted to practice in the State of New York; the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the United States Court of Federal Claims and the United States District Courts for the Northern, Western and Southern Districts.
Kevin is a member of the Board of Directors of the Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency, the Onondaga County Republican Committee, the Strathmore Men’s Athletic Club, the Ancient Order of Hibernians and the Bellevue Country Club.
Kevin is a past recipient of the 40 Under 40 Award and was previously a member of the Board of Directors of the Syracuse St. Patrick’s Parade and the Syracuse Irish Festival.
Kevin received his J.D. from the Syracuse University College of Law in 1995 and his B.S. from the State University of New York, College at Brockport in 1992.